Pages

Thursday 12 March 2015

Lord Huron

The next group that I want to talk about is an indie folk band that started in 2010 in Michigan. The band I am featuring today is called Lord Huron, who is currently made up of four male artists who all incorporate their own musical talents to the band. The day this group was introduced to me, I happened to be out boating with a friend on Lake Huron while Lord Huron's album, Lonesome Dreams was the soundtrack to our day. Interestingly enough, the name behind the band was inspired by Lake Huron. Lead singer Ben Schneider grew up visiting his cottage at Lake Huron where his nights were spent around the campfire jamming out with his guitar. Discovering this band was an amazing find for me because Lake Huron is a place that is very close to my heart as I have a cottage facing the Lake Huron beach-front. 

Since I heard the album Lonesome Dreams in the summer of 2013 it has been one of my favourite albums that I put on repeat on almost every day. When choosing a song to feature, I had the most difficult time because it was a challenge to pick only one. Every song on this album is so amazing that I recommend taking a listen to the entire album after listening to the featured song. 

Lord Huron has slowly been gaining popularity over the years and have recently been called out by Rolling Stone as an upcoming band to watch. They have also gained popularity due to being featured in a recent popular film. One of their most popular songs is called Ends of the Earth because it was featured in the film, Endless Love. I decided not to feature this song because of its growing popularity and instead feature another song on the album that is one of my favourites (though they are all my favourite). The song I am featuring is called Time to Run from the album Lonesome Dreams. This song definitely brings me back to the day of boating on Lake Huron and hanging out by the beach at my cottage on sunny summer days. On a side note, when listening to this song, do not be deceived by the slow calming start; it gets more upbeat and exciting at about 0:50 seconds in. Take a listen and enjoy! 

4 comments:

  1. I think the environment one listens to music in for the first time is very powerful. It's also cool to see the places that inspired certain songs and names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out Spotify for their Indie Playlists! They have some awesome songs lined up. As much as I thought the app was confusing and isn't fully compatible - the one thing I found was the great selection of everything indie and found myself stuck on their playlists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Lucy, Lord Huron is actually pretty good. How long do you think it'll take before they make it big?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great band, and I love the connection to Lake Huron. I've been to Tobermory on Lake Huron many times and it's still breathtaking every time. I'll have to listen to Lord Huron next time I'm up there!

    ReplyDelete